By Bruno Cozzi, Stefan Huggenberger, Helmut A Oelschläger
The Anatomy of Dolphins: Insights into physiology and Function is an exact, specific, absolutely illustrated, descriptive, and functionally orientated textual content at the anatomy and morphology of dolphins. It makes a speciality of a few delphinid species, with keynotes on very important dolphin-like genera, similar to the harbor porpoise. It additionally serves as an invaluable supplement for increasing tendencies and emphases in molecular biology and genetics.
The authors percentage their life-long services on marine mammals in numerous disciplines. Written as a staff instead of being ready as a suite of separate contributions, the result's a uniform and entire kind, giving all the various subject matters acceptable house. Many colour figures, which use the authors’ entry to huge collections of particular dolphin and whale fabric, around out this extraordinary providing to the field.
- Includes top of the range illustrations, drawings, halftone paintings, photographic documentations, microphotos, and tables detailing dolphin anatomy, functionality, and morphology
- Facilitates schooling and coaching of scholars of all simple learn and technologies devoted to marine biology and the remedy of marine mammals
- Brings jointly the present wisdom and data in this subject, together with these in imprecise earlier or non-English guides, or scattered briefly chapters in volumes
- Covers a couple of delphinid species and serves as an invaluable supplement for increasing developments in molecular biology and genetics
Read Online or Download Anatomy of Dolphins. Insights Into Body Structure and Function PDF
Similar mammals books
This quantity outlines the key findings from the Norwegian examine programme on whales and seals in Norwegian waters. a variety of issues are coated, together with physiological points, social association, inhabitants dynamics, inventory evaluation and administration. The ebook might be of serious worth to scientists and bosses, in addition to to participants of most of the people drawn to environmental matters.
This publication brings jointly many of the effects and concepts produced by way of various people-colleagues and scholars with whom i'm privileged to paintings within the laboratory at Rockefeller collage. when it comes to my own historical past I see it as a confluence of inventive forces people from whom i've got realized.
The first goal of this quantity is to illustrate the diversity of purposes of the Pyrosequencing expertise in learn and diagnostics and to supply distinctive protocols. starting with an up to date evaluation of the biochemistry, the quantity maintains with quantitative research of genetic version, ratio of expressed alleles on the RNA point, research of DNA methylation, international DNA methylation assays, really expert functions for DNA methylation research together with lack of imprinting, unmarried blastocyst research, allele-specific DNA methylation styles, DNA methylation styles linked to particular histone changes.
The Anatomy of Dolphins: Insights into physiology and serve as is an actual, exact, absolutely illustrated, descriptive, and functionally orientated textual content at the anatomy and morphology of dolphins. It specializes in a few delphinid species, with keynotes on vital dolphin-like genera, corresponding to the harbor porpoise.
Additional info for Anatomy of Dolphins. Insights Into Body Structure and Function
28 Anatomy of Dolphins Blubber: Corium (Dermis) and Subcutis Blubber is multifunctional. , 2004). The blubber also functions to streamline the cetacean body and to form specialized locomotor structures such as the dorsal fin, propulsive fluke blades and caudal keels. Construction of the blubber structures relies not only on lipid, but also on the fiber equipment of collagen and elastin. 1). Collagen fiber bundles, 30–55 µm thick, run mostly at a flat angle to the skin or parallel to the skin and interlace at more or less right angles to a three-dimensional network (Sokolov, 1982).
University of California Press, Berkeley, Los Angeles, London; Right, courtesy of Sam H. 3). The skin of dolphins was described to have a smooth rubbery texture without glands (except mammary glands) and hairs, except the fact that newborn dolphins possess hairs lined up in a single band on both sides on the rostrum. There are no accessory glands associated with these hair follicles. These hairs appear during the dolphin’s fetal period at a total length of 16–17 cm. It is hypothesized that these curly bristle-like hairs have some tactile properties and may derive from the vibrissae of terrestrial mammals (Reidenberg and Laitman, 2009).
2) of the surface of the skin over much of their bodies (Shoemaker and Ridgway, 1991). They are usually faint and can be seen by close inspects the skin of a living animal at an oblique angle. 7 mm. However, because of their faintness and because they may tend to relax or disappear from the surface of dead skin, they are difficult to see in histological cross-sections. The association of the superficial cutaneous ridges with the underlying dermal ridges and papillae is at present unclear (Shoemaker and Ridgway, 1991).
Anatomy of Dolphins. Insights Into Body Structure and Function by Bruno Cozzi, Stefan Huggenberger, Helmut A Oelschläger